Sunday, April 7, 2013

We must be doing SOMETHING right!

Bart and I have 3 AMAZING children! Each of them in their own right have spectacular qualities that never cease to impress me. A few weeks ago, I had a day that reminded me all the sacrifice, heartache, and frustration that typically accompanies raising young children is completely worth it.

You can ask any of my brothers or sisters and I'd wager they would agree that we all fought and argued more than we ever got along. Not to say that we didn't care about one another, we just never really pointed that out to each other. ;)

Like all mothers do, I have made it a point to try and have the opposite for my children.  From the day my second daughter was born, I have been telling my children that they are each other's best friends.  That no one could ever take the place of a big sister or little brother in their hearts. I've taught them to speak to each other with kindness and respect.  And to be honest with one another about what's bothering them when they aren't getting along. I can teach them these concepts until I'm blue in the face, like my mom tried with me and my siblings. But whether or not they adopt these ideals is completely up to them.  For myself, it took growing up and becoming adults for a closeness to develop between us siblings.  I don't want my kids to miss out on the joys of having a brother or sister to lean on, turn to, laugh with, and share happy moments and memories with while in their young and tender years. But after a recent experience, I'm excited to say, I think we're moving in the right direction.

Anna was at another allergist office getting more testing done. As she lay there on her tummy, the pricks of pain began on her back.  She was already full of fear and anxiety before, but now her 5 year old eyes were full of tears and heartache. The nurse finished with the pricks and left the room to get a sucker while we began our fifteen minutes of being still and waiting for reactions to start showing.  As she cried I told her how sorry I was that we HAD to do these tests, but that they were helping to protect her from potential dangers to her health.  She put her face down sadly and then raised her head again and cried out, "I WANT GENNY!" My heart broke and swelled in one motion. I was SO sad to watch her be miserable, but felt a huge rush of joy and gratitude that when faced with pain and fear, the one thing she wanted most to comfort her - was her big sister.

Later, I was able to share with Genny Anna's expression of love for her.  As I told her the story of Anna's cry for her, Genny's eyes began to fill with tears while a tender smile formed on her face.  Even as a 6 year old she understood what a declaration of love that was.  Her big sister response, as she attempted to contain her emotion, was that she should give Anna a BIG hug. After which she let the tears lose, said they were happy tears, and buried her face in my side as we hugged.

During that same day, later in the afternoon, I sat with my 3 year old little boy.  We watched a Daniel Tiger episode together on PBS.  The teaching point of this particular episode was to think of something that makes you feel happy whenever you're starting to feel scared. Alex's blue eyes lit up and he asked excitedly, "Mom! Know what makes me feel happy!?" I said, "What makes you feel happy?" He responded, "Playing with Anna!"

Can you imagine!? ALL IN ONE DAY!! Each of my children expressed an appreciation, a comfort in, and love for one another. What mother could ask for more? I feel truly blessed and favored to have been entrusted with these incredible little ones.

No comments: